Saturday, October 20, 2012

Soymilk Chai Tea

Soymilk Chai Tea
Soymilk Chai Tea by wanwu73 on Polyvore

I found this awesome Aladdin thermos at a thrift store.  Perfect for keeping chai warm. 

This recipe makes 8 (8 fl. oz) servings.  I usually pour some into a thermos or tea pot and store the rest in a Tupperware pitcher in the refrigerator.  

I shop for my spices at a local Indian grocery--much more inexpensive that a conventional supermarket.

Ingredients:

1 TB fennel seeds
6 green cardamom pots
12 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp black peppercorns
2 bay leaves
7 cups water
2 TB Indian tea leafs (I used a British Breakfast)
1 cup soy milk, or other non dairy milk

Directions:

  1. Place all spices and water in a pot.  Cover and boil over medium heat for 20 minutes.
  2. Remove from the heat, add the tea leaves and steep for 10 minutes.
  3. Add the milk and return the tea mixture to a boil.
  4. Strain the tea into a pitcher.
  5. Add sugar if desired.

1 comment:

  1. this does sound interesting. It has a lot less milk in it then I thought it would after looking at the instant packages that are sold by the tea in the grocery store - those called for way more milk than I thought they should.

    ReplyDelete